Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Turtle

I haven't posted here in a month. Truth be told, I haven't even been reading blogs lately, much less blogging. I realized last week while chatting with a friend that I've been "turtling"--pulling my head and limbs into safety, shielding myself from the world, because apparently the world has gone insane. I'm trying to get through without going batshit crazy, and apparently that has lately meant cutting off most of the interactive online world. Blogger, Facebook, all that: I've been MIA and struggling to even care.

The country where I grew up blew up into civil war (again) just days after my parents flew out. While one side (the side we support, remarkably) has technically won, the violence goes on. At this point I rely on the news my parents give me. Most of the news centers get it wrong, anyhow. Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT a religious conflict, among other pieces of disinformation.

The reality of politics and legislation in this state and region and nation has shot my blood pressure through the roof. It's all or nothing for me: either I tuck my head down and shut my mouth, or I'm ranting. I need to find a career counselor. I've never had a back-up plan for an alternate career: now I may not have a choice. I need to be prepared.

I hate politics. I hate most politicians. I hate the greed and corruption and rampant corporate capitalism that has washed over us all and isn't even pretending to care about 98% of the population any longer.

I wish I could just pull into my shell indefinitely.

3 comments:

  1. I was turtling before. Now I can't seem to shut up. Of course, with a runaway dog, a puking kid and homework to avoid, what else is there to do, you know?

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through periods of turtling too. I hope your family is safe and all is well with you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the turtling is working because Blogger wouldn't even post my comment! Suffice it to say my other comment was longer and more supportive, but for now, just sending you a big turtle hug!

    ReplyDelete